Monday, September 29, 2008

What did we do today?

(By Annie)

Well. We have been traveling for two days straight. And have another two nights with no hotel. We don't mind being hobos but are starting to look a little weathered. Let's just say I actually am wearing socks with sandals to cover up my grime and well, Rachael just stretches out her feet from time to time and says hello dirt, attach to me.

Rewind to Sunday night. We waited all day Sunday for the train to leave because we had seen all there was to see in Luxor. Even our hotel was finally getting on our nerves. People just get creepy to us after a while and I am sure we have the same effect on them. So, we trekked over to the train station to people watch and wait for our train. And neither disappointed. First, people watching. It continually amazes me how even "Egyptian" potato chips and soda can be worth it for a tourist to stop and click a picture. I also had a witch sit next to me for the better part of three hours. Now, there was no hat or kettle in tow, but I was severely scared, only to Rachael's amusement. She was clearly not carrying all her marbles in the same jar and of course decided the three empty benches were not as cool as our bench. Whatever, I watched my stuff carefully and promised not to be one of those people. BUT, then our train was late and after conferring with Sandy and Mandy the "just friends" stocky gym teachers we realized we indeed had not missed our train it was just late. Three hours late. Now, we have a plane to catch and in the back of our minds getting on the train was mission number one.

Well we achieved that finally, only to have the witch follow us and sit right next to us again. I did a double take, Rachael chuckled, and I am sure we were both cursed as she was kicked off for not having a ticket - surprise. As a result I am sure I will have trains be late for the rest of my non-witch life. But, for better or worse we arrived 11 hours later in Cairo. Side note. Rachael - although an amazing travel partner - does not use transportation to "catch up on the latest." She basically takes 24 seconds to fall asleep and then is out like a light for the next ten hours. But, I digress.

Airtreks confirmed our flights for us and after Rachael was scolded for carrying sewing scissors, and medical scissors, AND shampoo - we hopped on our flight. Personal TVs, packed lunches, cool flight attendants - two thumbs up for Gulf Air. Three hours later we are in the wonderful Island country of Bahrain. Now, if you can honestly tell me where Bahrain is well, then your cool. It took me three hours just to learn how to pronounce it.

Bahrain is in the middle of the middle east flanked by Kuwait and the UAE. The airport is amazing. Wifi of course. We decided to be dorks and see what 50 bucks would buy: Well - it buys a Mocha, an Ice Mocha, two McDonald's SUPER SIZED value meals, Now that's what I call Arabia Volume 11, and the latest edition of the Economist. We are awful consumers, but happier and healthier.

Okay, we are off in a few. See you all in Delhi, India. And by the way our Egypt Travel Guide will be coming your way soon.

No comments: